Citizen participation in government is at the very foundation of an ideal democracy. Today there is an opportunity to go beyond traditional forms of citizen participation such as voting and participating in polls. The rise and increasing pervasiveness of digital social media—Facebook, Twitter—have dissolved many technical barriers to widespread and sustained citizen involvement in co-producing and co-delivering public services
PMC’s ultimate objective is to ensure that all social media platforms are communicating the right messages, contributing for co-creation of a better society through citizen participation and ensuring convergence through a transparent and responsive governance. The major purpose of using social media is to increase drive citizen engagement along with expanding its reach. Besides, it will also enable PMC to transform public perception, help in improving services and customer experience and gain citizen’s trust through transparency.
- Use of key social media channels as the key platform for communication with citizens
- Every department within PMC to make use of selected social media channels for the purpose of citizen communications
- Receipt & Monitoring of Citizen complaints/ grievances through social media
- Providing social media platform for citizens to contribute their ideas and thoughts
- Arranging social media initiatives for citizens to actively participate in polling/ decision making/ ideation/ providing feedback
- Creation of wiki/ social media knowledge repository
- Promoting social media as One stop shop for all PMC services’ information
- Promoting Social Media as collaboration platform for citizen participatory activities (participatory budget activities)
- To enhance the overall image of PMC as brand
To maximize the impact of social media, a separate Social Media team has been constituted within the I.T Department of PMC.
The team comprises of following individuals:
- Social media manager
- Content Designer
- Content Writer
This team is supervised by I.T Head of the Department who directly reports to Hon. Municipal Commissioner (Pune) Shri. Kunal Kumar.
Guidelines have been developed to ensure neutral approach to social media.
- Authority: Do not comment and respond unless authorized to do so especially in the matters that are sub-judice, draft legislation or relating to other individuals
- Relevance: Comment on issues relevant to PMC, give relevant feedback and comments to make interaction productive and helpful for citizens
- Professionalism: Be Polite, Be Discrete and Be Respectful to all. Avoid making personal comments for or against any individuals or agencies. Also, professional discussions should not be politicised
- Openness: Be open to feedback, both positive and negative. It is NOT compulsory that every comment must be replied
- Compliance: Follow relevant rules and regulations. Avoid copyright infringement
- Privacy: Do not reveal personal information about other individuals as well as do not publish PMC details unless the information is meant to be made public so that citizens can use it
- Content that is shared must be informative and helpful to citizens
- Content being shared should bring about awareness among citizens about various PMC initiatives. It should also be actionable
- No content to be posted that show political or religious affiliations
Social Media Handles
- Pune Municipal Corporation -
- Pune Smart City -