Pune can be a city where people find cycling, using public transport and walking convenient, comfortable, safe and attractive. Pune Cycle Plan is part of the efforts by the Pune Municipal Corporation to transform transportation in the city. PMC is also committed to improvements in footpaths, design of streets, public transport,and traffic management.The Pune Cycle Plan was prepared in 2016 to help make Pune a cycle-friendly city, significant progress has been made over the past year to achieve a 300 km bicycle track in the city.
The project is supported by the Ministry of Urban Development, Govt of India. The PMC Traffic Dept is overseeing the preparation of the plan.
Top 4 Objectives of the Bicycle plan
- Create Cycle Network draft plan with over 300 km of cycle tracks
- Design cycle design Guidelines draft including width and surface of tracks, height of tracks, junction design etc.
- area; EOI to be published soonsqkmCreate a public Bicycle Share System – Phase 1 planned with over 3000 cycles, over 250 stations in 40
- Enforcement plan with physical design of tracks to prevent encroachment, cycle wardens, CCTV and e-challans
- Consultants Team appointed – I Trans, Prasanna Desai Architects and Centre for Environment Education
- ‘Draft 0’ ready after data collection and public engagement:
- Studies of traffic situation for cyclists, cycle tracks
- Over 10000 persons surveyed for travel patterns, views about cycling, willingness to shift etc.
- Consultations at all ward offices, with cyclists, cycle shops, schools, colleges, corporate groups etc.