In order to inculcate good habits in the children living on the streets and to induce liking towards education in them, the Social Development Department of the Pune Municipal Corporation, with co-operation from NGOs, is running the Residential Project (Gharta Project) since 2007-2008.
The project is being run at the following places:
- Shri Shreemal Clinic, Laxminagar, Yerwada, Pune-06 (John Paul Slum Development Project)
- Bholageer School, PMC School No. 4, Somwar Peth, Pune-11 (Ekalavya Bal Shikshan Nyasa)
- PMC School No. 100 Bunter School, Hadapsar Gadital, Pune-28 (Bachpan Bachao Sanstha)
Pune Municipal Corporation provides financial assistance to NGOs for the arrangement of various facilities such as shelter, light, food, shelter, light, food, clothes, school stationery, compensation of workers etc. Pune Municipal Corporation bears the 100% expenses incurred on this project.
Arrangement for providing hot water for bathing is provided at the above-mentioned three locations for the children who are part of this project. The education of these children is provided in the PMC schools in order to ensure their educational progress is not stalled. Medical check-up of all the children has been done once a year at Sassoon Hospital. Counselling facilities are also available for these students.
Every year a contract is signed with the organizations. A group coordinator and social worker from the Social Development Department visits the project at least twice a month and if any gaps are found, suggestions are made for the same / instructions are given for the same. The monthly report of the project is taken from the social workers.
To know more about the schemes of Social Development Department, please contact
1) Office of Group Organizer (Samuhsanghatika) Pune
2) Nearest Ward Office
3) Social Development Office, SM Joshi Hall, Daruwala Pool, Rasta Peth, Pune
Contact number: 020-25501281/82/83/84